Automobility Manufacturing Corporation was started in Regina Saskatchewan Canada in 1989.
By 1992 we had traveled what felt like every road in every state and province in North America introducing our hand control system to the dealer network and the car rental industry.
In 1993 Automobility Manufacturing Corp. started a new entity: Automobility Medical which has become one of the largest distributors of mobility and medical products in Canada.
Automobility has since partnered with Serta in the United States to become the exclusive distributor for the Canadian market.
How to Setup your new Serta lift chair with Automobility.
In 1931, an assembly of independent mattress manufacturers joined forces. They realized that their future rested on the ability to compete with name recognition and advertising dollars of emerging national companies. In 1933, the manufacturers organized their companies under one name–Serta–and set national guidelines for the products they would make and market under that brand name.
In creating its flagship mattress, the Perfect Sleeper®, these entrepreneurs struck a powerful balance. They developed a nationally recognized brand as well as a network of local companies dedicated to growing their retail partners’ businesses.
LEADING THE WAY IN MATTRESS INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY
For more than 80 years, Serta has been making consistent investments into the highest quality and most innovative features to ensure that every mattress set we manufacture delivers superior comfort and support. Throughout its history, Serta has been an industry leader, offering many products “firsts” – including the world’s first-ever “tuftless” mattress. Today, Serta is proud to offer a variety of exclusive features including our breakthrough Cool Action™ Gel Memory Foam available in our iComfort® and iSeries® mattresses.
Today, Serta is #1 mattress manufacturer in the United States and one of the most recognized home furnishing brands in the marketplace. Serta is a privately held company, owned by 6 licensees and represented by 23 manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and 4 in Canada. In addition, Serta is distributed internationally in more than 100 other countries. With its worldwide network, Serta is able to respond quickly to customers’ needs while still preserving strict control standards to ensure the highest quality products.
National Bedding Company, LLC (NBC) is the largest of Serta, Inc.’s 6 licensees, with 18 manufacturing plants in the United States and 2 in Canada. Headquartered in Hoffman Estates, IL the state-of-the-art headquarters provides critical services to all of Serta’s licensees including product development, national brand building and marketing programs, national account management and finance/accounting functions.
NBC and Simmons Bedding Company are owned and managed by Advent International. NBC has primary responsibility for its competing brands of Serta®, including Perfect Sleeper®, iComfort®, iSeries®, Perfect Day®, Sertapedic®, Perfect Lift™ Chair and its portfolio of licensed products while Simmons is responsible for its competing brands of Beautyrest® and ComforPedic®. Under Advent International, the two companies compete in the marketplace, but work together where joint activities will achieve efficiencies, enhance sales or provide better products and services to customers.
- Serta expands its Cool Action™ Gel Memory Foam technology into the innerspring category with its new iSeries® technology, which combines the Cool Action material with an advanced coil innerspring. The new technology becomes available in Trump Home™, Perfect Day® and select Serta® brand mattresses.
- Serta becomes the #1 mattress manufacturer in the United States.
- Serta introduces a breakthrough in memory foam technology with its new iComfort® Sleep System featuring Cool Action™ gel memory foam, designed to provide enhanced cooling comfort and extra support where you need it most.
- Serta partners with the renowned Bellagio hotel to launch the Bellagio at Home® mattress collection, built to the high quality and comfort standards of the Bellagio.
- Serta introduces the Serta Counting Sheep as the reluctant brand icons. The Counting Sheep eventually win a Gold Effie and are named Advertising Icon of the Year in 2008.
- Serta becomes the first national mattress brand to offer a flame-retardant system in its mattresses.
- Serta launches the Vera Wang by Serta® mattress collection. (The line is no longer in production)
- Serta launches the Trump Home™ mattress collection in partnership with the Trump Organization.
- Serta redesigns its flagship mattress, the Perfect Sleeper, with input from the National Sleep Foundation, and it becomes the Official Mattress of the National Sleep Foundation.
- The Serta Perfect Sleeper and the iComfort Sleep System are named Consumers Digest Best Buys.
- “We Make the World’s Best Mattress™” campaign is launched.
- Progress marches on! Serta now has 43 manufacturing plants in six countries and 34 licensees.
- Another industry first! Serta introduced a continuous coil innerspring in its Serta Perfect Sleeper line that provided better support to the shoulders, back and hips.
- Serta was first to introduce a plusher Pillow Soft® mattress. This new construction countered the theory that you needed a hard mattress for proper back support.
- Americans are sleeping on Serta in droves. 39 plants and over $70 million in sales.
- Serta slants advertising toward growing trend in health consciousness.
- In response to consumer demand for firmer mattresses, the Sertapedic line is introduced with the tagline: “You sleep ON it, not in it.”
- The company name evolves to Serta, Inc.
- Original Guardian Knight, Sleeper Products, Inc. is formed as a consortium of 13 independent mattress manufacturers. That same year, they produced the industry’s first tuftless innerspring mattress. It was the world’s first most comfortable mattress of many to come.
- Company changes its name to Serta Sleeper Products and moves corporate headquarters from Philadelphia to Chicago.